Saturday, October 23, 2010

Wager

Thirty six million people die each year of privation. More than one per second. Victims are disproportionately African children under six.

I'm not much of a gambler. I can't remember whether a straight beats a flush. Still, I'll bet dollars against dimes that child mortality in Africa, due to malnourishment and other easily preventable causes, could be eradicated within a year for only a fraction of what socially conscientious middle class Americans (easily among the most materially privileged people in world history) will spend, in the same span, on entertaining themselves. No legislation whatsoever required, just a twitch of collective will.

Takers?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a taker! See, I've even recently learned that I can live without a laptop, so I'm in the spirit to give up all kinds of things! By the way, I took your blog link down on my site... just let me know when you're ready for me to put it back up!

    ReplyDelete