Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mother Russia

A Russian friend of mine once summarized for me his impression of Americans. "Americans,” he declared, “are well fed slaves." He was about twenty years old at the time, and already a college graduate. Obviously he was very bright. He had a computer-related job, drove a new car. He could not, as he told me on another occasion, ever return to Russia, because if he did he would be immediately placed under arrest and charged with ducking his compulsory military service. In his homeland, all he had to look forward to was a prison cell.

He once nearly accidentally broke my skull with a cue stick, which he insisted on using to illustrate a point from Miyamoto Musashi. I haven't seen him in over a decade. I sometimes wonder what happened to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment